Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Generation Z

                                                             By: Ayana Bryant-Weekes


I grew up in the 90’s. Orange VHS tapes, Hey Arnold, Giga Pets, M.A.S.H. and book covers made out of brown paper bags were the youthful pleasantries of my younger days.  In the church world, the 90’s meant WWJD bracelets, Lock-Ins, Vacation Bible School, and Late Night Gospel Skates. These constant activities fueled my affinity for participating in church events and my love for my church’s youth department. There was always something to do and be a part of no matter what age I was and we had Auntie Shawn…. the best Youth Leader EVER.

Over the last few months I’ve been working with my church’s youth department to plan this year’s Youth Conference. I haven’t attended last 4 Youth Conferences because I was either away at school or uninterested in participating. Since this is my first year being both home and interested in participating in a long time, I decided to make a few suggestions on what could be done for #YC2k14. Somehow, I ended up on the committee and in charge of several youth conference activities just by walking in on a meeting and making suggestions and I must say it’s been quite the learning experience as well as a great insight to how important Youth Department’s are.


Young people need to be constantly entertained and catered to or they’ll entertain and attempt to cater to themselves, most times outside of the church. That’s why they youth department of my day was so fun and exciting; we ALWAYS had something to do. Throughout this whole ordeal, God has blessed me with idea after idea about fun events for the Youth Department to sponsor and hopefully the same excitement and vigor I experienced as a youth will resurface.

No comments:

Post a Comment