Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Passions. Paychecks. Planning.

By: Ayana Bryant-Weekes 
This past Sunday - in the spirit of our 40-days of prayer and consecration - my pastor, Bishop J.Drew Sheard, challenged the entire Greater Emmanuel COGIC congregation to take a leap of faith financially. He asked us, starting in the month of June, to tithe on the income we DESIRE to have. With several career propositions, student debts, and just plain old lifestyle preferences before me, I was more than willing to spiritually step out on the water.  This was supposed to be a simple task, pay 10% of what I wanted to make in my future income. As a regular tithe payer who usually rounds to the nearest dollar, I didn’t have a problem with paying more than what was required of me.  The problem was, and still is; I didn’t know what amount I really wanted.
Bishop’s challenge not only forced me to step out on faith but to also deeply consider a financial direction for my life. I got so wrapped up in making sure I followed passions and not paychecks that I overlooked the prosperous benefits linked to staying on the path that God has for me. Even before this challenge was presented to me I had small instances where I was asked to set my financial standard, for example, being asked what my preferred salary was at a recent job interview (I ended up getting more than what I asked for) in which my answer was hesitant because I hadn’t really considered the answer. The bible warns us on several occasions not to idolize and worship money and material things but that does not mean that God is not willing and waiting to bless us with the desires of our hearts and provide us with the things we need to survive in this day, granted that we keep Him at the center of it all.
[Matthew 6:31-33 Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.]
This financial challenge that God dropped in Bishop Sheard’s spirit is a combination of faith and practicality. Faith says, “I’m paying 10% on an amount that I am not making yet” and practicality says, “I have to be somewhat realistic in my projected income and have to begin to act on said projection”. Let’s not exclude financial planning as a part of kingdom building as it can echo back into our lives as preparation for bigger blessings to come.


Deuteronomy 8:18 “And you shall remember the LORD your God, for it is He who gives you power to get wealth, that He may establish His covenant which He swore to your fathers, as it is this day.”

No comments:

Post a Comment