Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Unwrap your gift: Discovering The Real You


By: Calicia Smith

@calimonae


GIFT: a thing given willingly to someone without payment; a present.

As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace 1 Peter 4:10


What is that one thing that you've hinted at your husband/wife, fiancé, or "boo" to get you for Christmas? Most likely it is the upgrade of something that you already own. I'm not "knocking" the holiday season and the gift of giving(I enjoy some of those sales myself lol). However, I believe that for many people the principle of gift giving is missed in today's culture- example: "If I get you something, you have to get me something." If that's your mentality you have to check yourself. I believe The giving of gifts is really a reflection of what's in you(soul, heart etc). What is behind Your gift this season? YOU...yes you are behind your gift and the sincerity of your heart is revealed in your attitude toward giving. Giving is really an act of service and an extension of yourself to aid those in need.


I believe many people struggle with materialism and consumerism because they aren't being true to themselves. In the words of William Shakespeare:" to thine own self be true". The world needs far more love, joy, and peace than the latest shoe or handbag. I pray you dig deep and ask God to show you how to love yourself by loving others through service. A nice blouse or shoe is great but ask yourself if that person that desires those items really need a hug or for you to help buy groceries?


We are the eyes, ears, and hands of God. Don't be afraid to share YOURSELF(gifts, service, talents)with the world.


This season I encourage you to do a heart check and ask yourself:
What you do and why DO you do it?


Prayer starter: God thank you for this season that is set aside to reflect and demonstrate your great love for me. I desire to operate out of a pure place and un contaminated with things. I pray above else this season that you teach me how to love. I want to love unconditionally and un selfishly. Today I give myself permission with the help of the Holy Spirit to give of myself to those in need. In Jesus' name. AMEN.



No comments:

Post a Comment