Monday, June 15, 2015

5 Life lessons I am learning from being a parent

By: Jessica Byrd


There is no better joy than being a parent. You have some great days, you have some exhausting days, you have joyful days, and you have some stressful days. Being a parent is a forever learning job, but most importantly being a parent can teach you some life lessons. Here are five lessons that I’ve learned so far from being a parent.


  1. Patience is something we may not all have but something we all need. I can admit I don’t have the most patience. When I want things to happen, I want it to happen on my terms. (God is working with me) But there are many times when i’m trying to teach patience to my children. Patience to sit at the table and wait for dinner to be served without having to be entertained by the phone. Patience when learning something new. My daughter will sometimes say, “Mommy I can’t do it by myself” I am teaching her to remove can’t from her vocabulary and to have patience with herself when she is learning something.


  Other times, I catch myself losing patience, especially with potty training. Many times I
have to ask God for patience because waiting will teach you so much. It will also help
you make the best decisions. Another thing we need patience with is enjoying life, and
enjoying the moment, without rushing through life like it’s a race.


2.       Love is the single one thing that is free but worth so much. My children need so  
         much love it is crazy, yet I can tell between the days when I am giving my children my
         undivided attention, and the days where I am trying to multitask. Love is free, and yet we
         as people lack love so much. People are hurting from lack of love, and while society tries
         to filter this with quick fixes, it all boils down to love. Take the time out to truly show and
         appreciate those you love.


3.       It's true, what you feed yourself really does affect your life. Recently I decided to go
         on a one week fast. I didn’t listen to secular music, drink pop (I loveeee pop), and I tried to
         listen to a sermon a day, as well as read my daily devotionals. The day after my fast, my
         attitude quickly changed. I was negative, and upset, I finally put it into perspective that
         what you expose yourself to has a direct effect to your outlook. Same with our children, as
         parents it is our job to expose our children to positive environments, but it all starts with  
         us and our perspective at home.


4.     Criticism, as well as Discipline, helps you grow. I really don’t like discipling my children,
       afterwards I feel awful, however I know it is something my children need. I am here to
       teach them right from wrong, I am here to help them steer through life, I am here to help
       them make good decisions and to do so, Discipline is needed! No matter what your disciplinary strategy
       is, it is our roles as parents to enforce values and rules.  Same with being an adult,
       criticism from our friends, our job, our spouses, and our parents helps us grow to be
       individuals. We need constructive criticism to develop and succeed. Make sure there are
       people around you who will talk to you and not AT you - there is a huge difference.
A person that genuinely wants to help you grow will be able to openly tell you about your weaknesses and strengths, without trying to belittle you as a person.


5. Trust. Yes my children have taught me how to trust. This has been a huge struggle for me. One thing a pastor said that resonated so closely to me was, “ When you have been let down so much you develop trust issues and you don’t trust anyone” WOW!! I have a bad trust problem, but my children are teaching me this. I am not able to be around my children 24/7. When my daughter started school, I would visit her on my lunch break, and call the school for a daily update. My children are teaching me how to truly trust God, and trust my instincts when they are not in my care. Even better, my children are helping me learn that importance of letting your guard down and not thinking it’s you against the world.


** This weekend, we spent a Saturday at home, playing outside and enjoying the simplicity of life. While I made plans to go to the zoo Saturday, we stayed at home instead, took a walk, ate ice cream and my son played with his new bike. I truly enjoyed a day of no plans!!


IMG_5144.jpgunnamed2.jpg


In other news, The Moms Club will be having our summer play date July 25th. Think outside, water, picnic, and lots of fun! If interested in attending please send me an email!!


IMG_4960.png





Jessica M. Byrd is the parent of a two and one year old. 
She is the founder of Metro Detroit Mom's Club and believes 
every mother should live a life on purpose!



No comments:

Post a Comment