Monday, June 22, 2015

Loving yourself first - My story!!


         By: Jessica Byrd

          So for those who have been following the Mommy Minute for quite some time will know all of my post have been about motherhood, parenting, and our children. This week I decided to focus on us as mothers!!!! One thing I have truly learned is to be the best parent you can be, you have to truly learn how to be the best you!! So here’s my story, before I got married I had extremely low-self esteem, I am not sure where it stemmed from but it really did some damage on myself, my relationships, and my friendships.

         I always needed validation, and became very concerned about what others thought about me. Secret is once I got married, this low self-esteem still lingered on. I had to really teach myself how to love myself first!! I know alot of mothers may struggle with this, especially when we have to always put people before us. I taught myself to speak affirmations to myself as often as I could, I taught myself to not compare myself to anyone else, because we all have our own story. I am still learning how to have quality time with myself. I am learning that I am truly just as important as anyone else. I am learning myself more and more everyday, and it is so liberating. Finally I am at a point where I’m growing, developing from the bad, and appreciating the good!! Key thing is I am doing this all while I’m a mother, and married. Lastly, one big misconception that I don’t find to be true, “you have to have yourself together first” I hear this way too often, you must have yourself together before you become a mother, or before you become a wife. Honestly, no one is truly “all together” we all have flaws, and learning to do.  My children have taught me so much about myself, I’m not sure I would of knew otherwise, same goes for my marriage!!

           Maybe you’re not struggling with low self-esteem, maybe it’s something else. I challenge mothers for this month to focus on yourself, becoming a better you. Change is good, so start now!!

**This weekend we spent our Father’s Day at River Days in downtown Detroit. The children had a great time in the bounce house, getting their arm painted, and doing arts and crafts. My husband also took my daughter on the giant slide, and I nearly fainted.
 3.jpg5.jpg12.jpg

  



Jessica M. Byrd is the parent of a two and one year old. 
She is the founder of Metro Detroit Mom's Club and believes 
every mother should live a life on purpose!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment