Monday, June 8, 2015

LearningTo Pat Yourself On The Back: Setting Your Own Parenting Standards

By: Jessica Byrd

Today’s society will place all types of rules and stereotypes on parents, making it hard for mothers to think on their own about their values, and goals especially when it comes down to the root of parenting. One thing that is now of the norm is cellphones. While I do let my children play with cellphones, with my son it is becoming slightly excessive so I try to hide my phone any chance I get to redirect him to the old fashioned style of playing.

I remember when my children we born and I introduced them to television ( I tried to hold out as long as I could) The one rule I made was to not have TV's in the children’s room. Our bedtime routine consists of bath, reading time, prayer, and bed!! There is no TV in their room. They listen to lullabies and fall the sleep on their own. My son is in the phase where he needs milk before bed, and I’m ok with that. This has been a consistent routine of our household for two years now. After reading this month’s edition of The Parent magazine, I took a moment to pat myself on the back for a job well done!!


**Studies actually show that A TV in a child’s room makes kids less tired, in contrast to society encouraging TV as a comfort for children.

After feeling great about my parenting skills, I thought about times I had been out with my two toddlers and they were well behaved with no problems (which is rare for toddlers, they are known for at least one meltdown.) In these very moments, I wanted someone to pat me on the back and say hey you’re doing a good job!! But one thing I’ve noticed, in life you have to learn how to celebrate your own success, whether in parenting, work, school or anything. Too many times we walk around acting as if someone owes us rewards and compliments. We have to learn not to place those expectations on people, and pat ourselves on the back. Especially when it comes to parenting, it is a job that is overlooked, overworked, and no pay. So learn to celebrate your own success when it comes to your children, and learn from the not so great moments as well. Don’t be so hard on yourself when things don’t go as planned, and don’t discredit all the hard work you do, especially in a society that majority recognizes titles, achievements, and status!!

In other news, I purchased a camera this weekend, and I couldn’t stop snapping pictures of my little ones. I encourage every mother to get another camera besides their phone. Pictures makes for a great memories!!!








Jessica M. Byrd is the parent of a two and one year old. 
She is the founder of Metro Detroit Mom's Club and believes 
every mother should live a life on purpose!

No comments:

Post a Comment