Wednesday, May 20, 2015

For A Reason...

I wrote an A Team Blog post a couple of weeks ago titled Fight The Good Fight, about Marylin Mosby,  Baltimore’s State’s Attorney who told a room full of people during a prayer breakfast in Baltimore, Maryland, “Whenever I had that self-doubt, whenever I said this is too much for me to handle…I've got to tell you that God got me through and I have to believe that He put me here for a reason," in the midst of one of the most public civil right’s cases of our time.  Along with Marylin Mosby,  Stephen (Steph) Curry, Golden State Warriors guard, joins the list with Megan Good and Tim Tebow. The list I’m referring to is the list of believers that have become mainstream cultural icons and have taken the message of Jesus to a celebrity platform. Steph Curry—or, as written in his Twitter bio, a fellow ‘Believer’ has been making headline after headline for his handles on the court, his accurate shooting and more recently for his daughter Riley who stole the show at a post game press conference, but what’s often overlooked is his desire to share his faith in Jesus Christ.  Well, someone sent me another Steph Curry headline that read a lot differently from the rest, "THE HOLY SPIRIT IS MOVING THROUGH OUR LOCKER ROOM" SAYS NBA MVP STEPHEN CURRY



Celebrity status seems like a gift and a curse to many, which at times may appear true, but the gift for believers everywhere is the opportunity to carry the message of Christ as far as possible. Steph recently told FCAMagazine.com in Curry: In His Own Words,  During our Cinderella run to the 2008 Elite Eight, I knew the Lord was preparing me for a bigger stage to represent and be a witness for Him on the basketball court. I remembered my mom telling me from day one at Davidson that God puts His people in different areas of life so that they can reach more people for Him. I tried to use that time for His glory.”


It’s equally important for believers to reach super stardom, celebrity status and attain fame and fortune to allow Godly influences to change society. We have been strategically placed to shape an entire culture: Matthew 5:13-16 “Let me tell you why you are here. You’re here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth…14-16“Here’s another way to put it: You’re here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We’re going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. (MSG}


By: Ayana Bryant-Weekes 

No comments:

Post a Comment