Monday, May 11, 2015

M. O.M. Master of Many

By: Jessica Byrd



In honor of Mother’s Day, I had the privilege to be apart of a panel titled “M.O.M,” master of many. The panel discussion consisted of three ladies including myself, all of which are working, professional mothers. The panel discussion included key topics mothers faced in today’s society. This discussion was very refreshing in knowing we all have shortcomings, we’re not perfect, and parenting is trial and error.


Being that I have toddlers, one and two year old, I am always open to suggestions, and advice when it comes to the betterment of my children. A couple points that stood out were:

  1. Don’t compare your children to each other, or to anyone’s else’s child- Social media has the weird way of making people think everyone life is perfect except yours. It has glorified parenting with cute outfits and playdates. But parenting was and still is a FULL-TIME job. Our children need attention, demand attention, and should always come first. You can’t compare a picture to real life. Each child is different, and each child requires something different.

2.      Old-School discipline works! -No I am not talking about spankings, I am talking about
time-outs, the evil look, and etc.  But one thing that really stood out is when a fellow
panelist told me she learned from her mom when her children are misbehaving she tells   
them to get their act together or they’re going home and going to bed. I said wow! and
asked her so when they don’t listen, do you really make them go to bed, she said YES!
She also mentioned she learned this from trial and error. I know spankings are easy, but
personally I haven’t found them to be that effective, especially not with my daughter. I
have found time outs to really help, and sometimes the old school pinch. When I heard
of this method, I thought this really teaches your children the proper way to act,
and consequences when they’re misbehaving.
        

3.    Be a mother, not a robot- As mothers we have a lot on our plate, to say you live a
      balanced life is hard, wherever you’re giving more of your energy to, you’re slacking
      somewhere else. As mothers we have to learn not to over commit, make things that are
      important to us a priority, but most importantly don’t lose site of our own dreams and your
      own goals. We can’t be three places at one time, so really take time to understand what
      matters the most, but don’t lose yourself trying to be perfect. Trying to perfect and
      pleasing everyone will kill you. Believe me I know.


4.   We’re our children’s first example- Yes, children learn things at school, from friends, but
      we’re our children first role model. Children will get influenced, children will learn
      from their peers, but just like the bible says, “Train up a child in the way he should go,
      and when he is old he will not depart from it.” Proverbs 22:6. We have to be firm about
 our house rules, and what standards we set for our children, most importantly we have to be
 mindful of our own actions.


5.  If something is not ok, then say it’s not ok - One thing I’ve noticed as young parents we
    tend to second-guess our beliefs because our parents or grandparents may
    disagree with our parenting style or rules. While learning from our elders is very important
    it doesn’t mean they’re rules are golden, especially when it comes to your own household.


I had such a great time chatting with these ladies! Raising a child really takes a village. I am so excited to have Mommy Minutes with you guys. If you have any topics or questions you will like me to cover please feel free to email me at: mrsjessicamarieb@gmail.com

Here’s how I enjoyed my mother’s day. I took my children to have a Day with Thomas at The Henry Ford Museum. When my daughter saw Thomas she screamed, THOMAS!!! We had a chance to ride on the train, get Thomas tattoos, play with bubbles, and ride in cars. It was a blast, and we will be returning next year!!

Jessica M. Byrd is the parent of a two and one year old. 
She is the founder of Metro Detroit Mom's Club and believes 
every mother should live a life on purpose!

No comments:

Post a Comment