Monday, May 18, 2015

How Has Your Childhood Affected You?



By: Jessica Byrd

This last Tuesday my hairdresser came to my house to do my hair, while my friend cooked, and entertained my children. Yes, this is why you need a great support system, especially with two toddlers running around. In the midst of me getting my hair done, we had good ole girl talk. I am not sure how we started talking about childhood, but the conversation was never ending when we talked about how we grew up. We hear it so much, how you grow up shapes your reality, but I am truly starting to notice how true this is. There were three women in the house, all had different perspectives and different realities about how things were and should be.

The more we talked the more I understood the value of your childhood. Do you know how many grown women, yes grown, are still fighting their childhood battles. Growing up in dysfunction, can make you think happiness is off your radar, even if happiness is in front of your face you will find something wrong (this speaks to me), some women saw daddy do everything, and can’t find or settle for a man to measure up, others are still hurt from the neglect of their parents and try to bury their issues. Some people grow up with no lines of communication, and taught to hide your emotions.

Just as I thought I was over this conversation, I saw someone post this on instagram the very next day.  



How deep is this? I immediately captured this picture and posted on my instagram account. It made me think about myself as a parent. What habits do I want to stop that can potently affect my children. Our children are aware even if we think they are too young. The can hear us arguing with daddy, cussing the lady out at the store. They know when we’re not paying attention because work is too important, they know when we don’t show up at a game, or dance recital. Our children are aware. Let’s be the best parents we can be. Starting with ourselves. As far as getting rid of your childhood hurt, know our parents are not perfect. Talk to them about our hurt, pray for forgiveness, and move forward being a better you!!! I suggest praying and fasting, it will allow for deliverance.

This weekend was busy for me, full of birthday dinners and birthday parties. This Saturday we celebrated Ms. London’s second birthday at Chuck E Cheese.






Jessica M. Byrd is the parent of a two and one year old. 
She is the founder of Metro Detroit Mom's Club and believes 
every mother should live a life on purpose!

No comments:

Post a Comment