Monday, July 20, 2015

A Mommy Minute: Holding it all together…..For your children's sake!!

By Jessica Byrd

I promised myself when I started this blog, that it wouldn’t be filled of fluff stories. As a Christian I get asked plenty of times, and sometimes ask myself, Why does God allow terrible things to happen? The answer is far fetched and God unfortunately is not the God of this world Satin is. I must admit I have witnessed some strong mothers!!! I have witnessed and experienced mothers tearing down inside, but smiling around their children. Crying while their children are sleep, but make it their business to read a bedtime story every night. I will never forget the first time my two year old saw me cry, I just couldn’t hold it in any longer, and the tears came rolling down. “Mommy what’s wrong”, my daughter said in deep concern, “Mommy is sad Lailah” I responded. At first, I was so embarrassed, and I questioned what effect this may have on my child, seeing her MOMMY cry, because as a mother, the world wants us to suppress our feelings. We are the one person in the house who is supposed to have it all together..NEWSFLASH we don’t.  It really bothers me when people say you’re too emotional. Yes, not knowing how to control your emotions can have a negative effect, but I have realized having emotions is one of the greatest things about me. I hurt, I cry, I get sad, and yes I am emotional!! When my daughter saw me cry, it could've been one of the best bonding moments we’ve ever had. Right there in that moment I had to explain to a toddler what being sad means, and why she shouldn’t waste her tears just to get her way.

“Lailah people cry sometimes when they’re sad, sad means they can be hurt, and being hurt can cause pain, and that’s why some people may cry” I explained

“So mommy you hurt, you hurt mommy?” she responded

“Yes mommy is sad at this moment, that’s why you see tears, so why do you cry Lailah” I asked

“I don’t know” she answered

“It’s important to cry when you’re sad, and talk to mommy, not cry just because you want something” I remarked.

This conversation ended with a huge hug, and a understanding between a toddler and a 29 year old woman. Therefore, as parents we have to hold it together for our children, we are their examples, but we also have to have realistic expectations of ourselves. We don’t escape our children, we explain to our children. We are all people, we all have emotions, no matter if you’re a parent, a child, a grandparent, or a spouse.

** In other news the Outdoor Adventure Center located in 1802 Atwater, Michigan opened up today. I love their tagline, “ Bringing up North downtown” Think having an outdoor experience in an indoor environment, make sure to check it out and bring your children. There will be a Mom's Club playdate soon here also, so stay tuned!


IMG_0033-1400x480.jpg 











Inline image 1 










  
Jessica M. Byrd is the parent of a two and one year old. 
She is the founder of Metro Detroit Mom's Club and believes 
every mother should live a life on purpose!

No comments:

Post a Comment