Monday, July 27, 2015

Being A Mother Doesn't Stop Your Dreams

By: Jessica Byrd


So many times I hear people say that being a mother caused them to put their dreams on hold. My heart drops when I hear this comment. Yes, I know being a mother causes us to not go full speed but to completely stop dreaming just makes me want to cry. I truly believe God is setting me up for a great blessing, and my life will become a testimony to many. So here’s my story.. While I was pregnant with my first child, I worked full time at Chase bank as a personal banker, I hated every minute and moment of my life at the time. Banking is a great career for some, but not for me! This was the first real job I knew I had to keep because I needed good insurance for my child, and a steady income. Everyday I went dressed to work dreading my purpose. I worked until I 9 months with child, I was tired, miserable, and wore out! But at the moment, I sacrificed my happiness for my soon to be daughter. Fast forward my daughter is born, and going back to work full time was not an option for me, I opted to work part time at Chase and it worked out perfect for my schedule.


A year later, I am pregnant with my son, still a personal banker, this time I was able to take some time off sooner than 9 months, due to my bedrest my doctor assigned for me. I was at risk for my pregnancy and my doctor felt my stress from work was having a negative impact on the proper growth of my son. Instead of actually going on bedrest, I used this time to intern two days a week. I was determined when I was pregnant with my son that I was not going back to doing something full time that I literally hated. I was determined to go after my goals, and I was determined it would work out in the end. I interned for no pay, and through the grace of God, he fulfilled all my needs. At the time, I had high hopes of being in the publishing career, and nothing was going to stop me. After my son was born, I left Chase, took another low paying part time job, and still interned for the Michigan Chronicle two days a week. All while having two children under two, I was determined. Yes, I had a huge support system! I let everyone know around me this was my decision and I had to do this for me. I was working events for my internship without pay, eight months pregnant. Yes, there was nights when I felt like I should be home with my children, mommy guilt had the best of me, however having a brighter future was important to me. I knew I had to do this for myself and better yet for my children. I am a strong believer of living a life on purpose!! When my internship ended, I wrote a proposal to my job to hire me, they told me they didn’t have any openings at the time. Therefore, I continued to work my low paying part time job. Exactly two weeks later, my internship called me and hired me as an contractor account executive. During my time as a contractor, I expressed my interest in event planning, and a year later I became a full time employee as the event coordinator for the Michigan Chronicle. My first big event was this month, The Men of Excellence! IMG_5629.jpg


This is an abbreviated story, but it shows my determination to succeed. There were many of hopeless nights, especially when I’m struggling, working hard, and my finances were based off of a part time gig.


I know I have a long way to go, and while I am still growing, still learning, and still developing my niche in my career path and surely not rich. I am wealthy by the grace of God, I know he is guiding my steps, and I know my future is bright!


Therefore as a mother never sell yourself short, go after your dreams, make it work for you, and  follow your heart. Yes our children are priority but live your best life possible!!!! Now In my current role, I still have time to spend with my children, I make sure I am at all my children’s activities, and I utilize my weekends for my children. My children are still my priority but I am not giving on myself in the process.


**Mom’s Club summer playdate was this weekend at Heritage Park and we had so much fun!!!!!
IMG_0185.JPGIMG_0193.JPG
IMG_0180.JPG
IMG_0203.JPG
Make sure to like our facebook page!! https://www.facebook.com/mdmomsclub?ref=bookmarks
If you’re interested in joining the Moms Club our next meet and greet will be in September so make sure to send me an email.








Jessica M. Byrd is the parent of a two and one year old. 
She is the founder of Metro Detroit Mom's Club and believes 
every mother should live a life on purpose!
 
 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment