Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The Keys to Unlocking Sweet Sleep: 4 Ways to Achieve A Good Night's Rest

-->
 By: Ayana Bryant-Weekes

Too many of us are losing sleep. We set “bedtimes” for ourselves and laugh because we know we’ll see that time come and go before we even begin to feel sleepy, we calculate and re-calculate the maximum amount of sleep we’ll get if we fall asleep within ten minutes, we lay awake at night, exhausted in our bodies, wishing we could fall asleep while our minds are wide awake. I started to think about what actually happens to my mind and body when I find myself unable to sleep; my legs tense causing me to toss and turn, my mind goes in a million directions, and when I should be resting and recharging my body, I’m awake and worrying. Vamping (staying up all night) became a commonality among people of my age group, which is apparently chalked-full of self-diagnosed Insomniacs.
So what is it about the night? What is it about the time dedicated to rest, that rest seems to be the one thing we can’t do? I remembered seeing a post on Instagram that said ‘Worry is just a tool of the enemy to take your mind off of God’s power’. How is something as simple as sleep used an attack of the enemy? One of the most important parts of living a healthy life is the time you spend letting your body recharge—sleeping. In the past I’ve always heard you need at least 8 hours of sleep. Since then, I’ve learned that the recommended amount of sleep varies based on a bunch of things like age, lifestyle and health. This chart from sleepfoundation.org has a really great breakdown of the actual amount of sleep each age range needs. Nevertheless, most 20-somethings will admit we don’t get anywhere near 10-11 hours of sleep.
With so much on our minds and hearts its easy to spend countless hours agonizing over the details of our daily lives, trying to escape anxieties and scrolling aimlessly through social media to find entertainment and before we know it, the sun is coming up! The next day we’re tired, cranky, and living for the Lord is the last thing we feel like doing (I hope I wasn’t too honest there).  But that’s the exact mind frame that leaves us vulnerable for an attack.
The author of Lamentations counsels us to cry out to the Lord in the midst of everything that’s weighing us down in chapter 2:19 and Jesus tells us to come to Him if we’re burdened or weary so He can give us rest [Matthew 11:28]. Losing sleep draws us further away from Christ by affecting our physical health and dispositions. Proverbs 3:24 promises us sweet sleep if we use wisdom and discretion so here are 3 non-medical sleep methods I found on nationalsleepfoundation.org  (and one method I came up with) to walk in faith and achieve a good night’s rest.
           
1.     Cognitive Behavioral Therapy – This method addresses unhealthy beliefs and fears about sleep, and encourages rational positive thinking. I requires behavioral changes like setting a bedtime and wake time (and sticking to it), getting out of bed after 20 minutes (I’m notorious for lounging after I wake up), and cutting out naps!
2.     Relaxation Training – Involves progressive muscle relaxation, where you steadily tense and relax muscles in your body, breathing exercises and meditation, and listening to audio sleep aids.
3.     Stimulus Control – This method requires you to build an association between the bedroom and sleep by limiting what you do in your bed/bedroom. Limit your activities to ones that promote rest and cut out things like eating and doing work in your bed.
4.     My favorite method is a combination of music, deep breathing, and a chilled glass of water. Thanks to Spotify I’ve started listening to jazz, classical, and even worship songs at night when I can’t sleep and sooner than I think I’ve been lulled to sleep.  I like to keep a chilled glass of water on my night s keep my body at a comfortable temperature, especially in the summer. Lastly,  I slow my breathing to trigger by body into sleep mode. It helps my muscles relax and eases me right into a sweet sleep, free of stress and worry.

Psalm 4:8 echoes the faith we should exercise when we trust God for sweet sleep, it declares, “In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, O Lord, will keep me safe.” And by faith, we believe what Psalm 3:5 says, “I laid me down to sleep; I awakened; for the Lord sustained me.” I’ve been searching for night devotionals to incorporate into my nightly routine, it’s necessary to remind yourself to cast your cares on God and that in Him there is rest.

           

No comments:

Post a Comment