Monday, August 3, 2015

A Mommy Minute: Trying to understanding your child’s tantrums

By:Jessica Byrd


First let me admit, I am not an expert in parenting, I am just a mother learning the ins and out of parenting as I read, and through trial and error. Discipling  is something that is so hard for me. If I spank my child I feel awful afterwards, if I yell, my children burst out into tears, so most of the time I was left losing many battles. That was then. I found it important to first try to understand my children’s tantrums, to understand how to discipline them accordingly. With my daughter there is a tantrum every morning she can’t wear a dress. This little girls love dresses, it used to stress me out, If I say no Lailah you’re not wearing a dress today, she would literally throw a fit. How do you spank a child for this??!! What it all boils down to is that she couldn’t get her way, and she doesn’t properly know how to address those feelings. At first, It was because mommy said so. Now I have to explain to my child why sometimes pants are a better fit for the day. Conversations usually go like this, “you don’t want to wear your pretty dress in the rain do you”, “you don’t want to play in your pretty dress outside,” and it goes on. Yes, this is a real live issue I have with my daughter she is obsessed with dresses.

A lot of times when she is frustrated she like to turn into a baby to get attention. Now this is something I have zero tolerance for. At this point it is no talking, I direct her to time-out and tell her to come see mommy she’s ready to communicate and talk to mommy like a big girl. This works wonders!! She will sit in time out, sometimes cry for  a second, realizes she is getting no attention, and 7 times out of 10, says mommy I’m ready to be a big girl. My eyes light up, and I say GREAT! Mommy likes when you’re a big girl!

When we’re out in public and she wants things her way, I usually take her in the bathroom get down to her level and talk about the situation, most times she comes out a happy camper, sometimes it doesn’t work. I try my best not to spank, but sometimes this child can truly test me!! Those girls!!

My son is pretty chill, but he’s in this throwing stage and it drives me insane!! If he gets mad he throws, most of the time I explain to him he doesn’t throw, and that didn’t work a bit. This week, I am starting time outs. I will keep you guys posted on how that works.

I have really learned the importance of understanding the cause of your child’s tantrums, this can help you understand the appropriate disciplinary measures you should take.

As promised, I have found a school for my children. Tune into next week and I share my journey in choosing the right school for my children!


Also if you’re interested in joining The Mom’s Club we will be having a Meet and Greet in September.

** This weekend, I had a break!!  On Saturday, my children went with their grandparents on and I enjoyed a night with friends!! Much needed!

unnamed.jpg
Happy Monday Loves!! Lailah and I on the way to school. Yes she’s wearing a dress ...lol  



Jessica M. Byrd is the parent of a two and one year old. 
She is the founder of Metro Detroit Mom's Club and believes 
every mother should live a life on purpose!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment