Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Exposure At A Young Age Matters


Displaying unknown.jpg

By: Jessica Byrd

I remember hearing a quote at My moms club workshop and it really stuck out to me. "Young people are like Kodak film all they need is exposure." I can't recall the author of this quote, but I am reminded of this quote daily.


Some people find it quite funny that I enrolled my son in soccer and he's not even 2 years old yet, or that i started my daughter in dance before the age of three. But exposure is so important to me. I am a firm believer that exposing your children to things at a young age helps with a child's confidence, decisions and their overall growth. Yes, confidence building does start as young as two years old.

I believe exposure help children with affirmations and it helps them develop at a young age.

My daughter learned a song in dance this summer and I love the context of the song. It's called ,"My best" the words say, "my best I like to do my best, for mommy and daddy and all the rest...." Lailah sings the song with such confidence and I'm able to explain to her exactly what doing her best means, and she's learning this all before the age of three.

Exposure is not only activities, exposure is also places, things and more important exposure is your own lifestyle and home values that your children see everyday and will mimic. For example, I don't listen to any rap or r and b around my children. I am strictly listening to gospel while my children are in the car. I want my children to see mommy in praise and worship, and believe me they will have their whole life to get exposed to different genres of music.

I am very particular on the environment I expose my children to, this includes schools also. Speaking of which Lailah will start a new school next week. She's going full time and I think I'm more nervous than she is.

What are you exposing your children to?

*In other news, our second meet and greet will take place on September 12th. I've also taken a break from social media for a month to re- dedicate my time.

This weekend we went to a swimming party and church!





Jessica M. Byrd is the parent of a two and one year old. 
She is the founder of Metro Detroit Mom's Club and believes 
every mother should live a life on purpose!


No comments:

Post a Comment