Monday, September 7, 2015

Happy Labor Day Everyone!

By: Jessica Byrd

We"re preparing to send my daughter to a new school tomorrow and I'm excited and nervous at the same time.

In other news, I want to talk about the emotional detachment we teach our sons just because they are Boys. My son will be two in December and I can't help but to notice how different  friends and family treat my son than my daughter. Sure I understand saying, "put down that purse" or "that's for girls" but this one time my really close friend was over and she has a nine year old son. My son was crying for some reason and she said to him in a deep voice, "stop that crying" and he started crying more. I immediately responded he doesn't react well when you speak to him that way, I still speak to him soft no matter if he's a boy or not, I mentioned,  I leave it up to his father to speak to him in a manly firm voice, but I am still his mother. Her response, "well he will always cry with his mother then." I revisited that statement when I got home and thought about a couple of things and started to do some research. I found my research to be quite interesting, it talked about the pressures and emotional detachment we try to embed in our sons as early as one year old. There is this stigma that our sons have to be tough, and crying doesn't involve being tough even for a toddler. And while many times I did fall into this stigma after the research I separated myself from this society pressure we have on boys. Sure I want my son to grow up and be a man but I also want him to have feelings. If you've been following my post for some time you would know that I don't condone cry babies for both of my children. I express using your words for my son and daughter but I also understand the need for toddlers to cry sometimes and I don't look at it differently because of their gender. I think we shouldn't try to teach our boys so young to try to be a man forgetting the fact that they are human. I do understand why we do this, but for now lets let children be children!


We spent Labor Day weekend at the Michigan State Fair! I couldn't believe how expensive it was now that it's moved to Troy. None the less the children had a great time!




 



Jessica M. Byrd is the parent of a two and one year old. 
She is the founder of Metro Detroit Mom's Club and believes 
every mother should live a life on purpose!

No comments:

Post a Comment