Monday, October 5, 2015

Raising A Family In Detroit: We Are Not Statistics!


-->
I saw an article about raising a family in Detroit in Metro Parent and it immediately hit home. I have been a Detroit Girl all my life; I’m even a product of the Detroit Public School system, and while I have a long way to go, I would like to say I'm on the right track. When I hear people negatively speak about Detroit I quickly jump into defense mode. It wasn't until I had children that I actually contemplated jumping the fence over to the suburbs. I still struggle with my decision but I know that I would only move out of Detroit to provide my children with an outstanding education. However, when I look back over the things I struggle with as an adult, it’s mostly family structure more than education. I know my mom did the best she could to provide for my brother and I, but we do learn from our parents and try to be even better parents. Here are some things I believe are essential for parents to do, particularly those living in inner cities such as Detroit that sometimes sets us apart as successful adults. 

  1. Save for your children's education: I admit, I was that parent—fancy birthday parties every year, spending $300 for a two hour party for a toddler—that won't happen again for me as I quickly learned this was a mistake. I do believe in celebrating birthdays but it doesn't have to be so extravagant every year. Children just love being around their friends and I think the single best gift I can give my children is a tuition free education. That way, as an adult, they're not struggling with debt like I am. Now, I’m not saying everyone in Detroit is in debt and everyone living in the suburbs is debt free, this is just data from the majority and it seems that suburban communities have already grasped this concept.
  2. Education is important but home is a priority. Yes, education is important but even if you send your children to top-of-the-line schools, I doesn’t matter if your home doesn’t have a loving, structured learning environment. The same goes for children attending public schools; there are very successful people that came form public schools but because their home environment also supplemented learning and taught them values, they were able to close the gap if it wasn't being offered in school. Parents are also teachers since learning doesn't stop at school. As parents, we need to implement homework times, discipline, structure, teach manners etc. The home is a child’s first classroom, so don't neglect it! 
  3. Race does matter! Yes I said it! Everyone says race doesn't matter and that children don’t notice racial differences at a young age. I don't think race is as important as we make it, but, I do believe that children notice when they look different from everyone in their class. It's important we talk about race with our children and people who look different in general. We can't ignore race, especially not in today's society.  
  4. Extra-curricular activities are important. We need to expose our children to activities that develop a sense of teamwork and discipline. Detroiters may not have access to the prestigious golf clubs, and tennis clubs but we still have access to recreational centers such as the YMCA in downtown Detroit that offer a lot of activities for toddlers and teens.
  5. We don't have to be a statistic. Everyone raising their families in inner cities are not low income, or ignorant. Some people just believe in their city and support the progress in their current city. I have been raising my family in Detroit for almost three years and my home has never been broken into or anything of that sort. You don't have to be a statistic, we can teach our children different but it all starts with us.
Raising children is one of the single hardest things to do but as parents we have to make the best decisions for our children's longevity.

Join us on November 14th for our moms and finance workshop!!!  To learn some savings and finance tips!! 


Inline image 1
Jessica M. Byrd is the parent of a two and one year old. 
She is the founder of Detroit Moms Rock and believes 
every mother should live a life on purpose!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment